14 February, 2011

Le Fromage Est Battu

A
few days ago Allison, Stephanie N., and I were on the bus going home and there was a little girl repeatedly singing "le fromage est battu!" We don't really know why, or how it makes any sense that "the cheese is beaten," but she was adorable nonetheless.

Café times!
Hopefully this will be a long, multi-themed entry - as I've got some ground to cover - but I'll be sure to add pictures! This picture to the right was taken around three weeks ago. I've been slacking on the picture aspect of this blog!

Something I've failed to mention is the tubular food item I've come to enjoy here in France, known as quenelles. Now, if you follow that link, you can read all about them (it's not that long of a wikipedia article, just do it), which is a little disconcerting, but I'll eat them anyway. It's not like I, as an American, don't know the meaning of mystery meat. This is just the French version, and therefore much classier. Though, there are some French who don't like it at all, but here at chez Boulet, we'll have it a few times a month.



Here are some pictures from a few weekends ago when a group of us went for a walk and played on a playground. We got pastries afterward, too, so it was just a delightful day.
I can already tell this is going to be a hodge-podge of pictures and text. Doesn't that just make it fun for everyone, though?

 So anyway, the weekend of February 5th (I know this specifically because it...) was Shawn's birthday. First we ate at her house - which was a lot. Macaroni and cheese, salad, bread, many, many small crêpes, and a chocolate cake we had bought for her in town at our favorite bakery just before the party. I bought candles made to look like crayons because the two of us discovered one night that we say it... unconventionally (basically, she says it weird). I say something close to cran whereas she says something similar to crown. You see? Anyway, after the dinner we headed into town to go to a bar, where we met some friends from our program. From there we were those shady people you see drinking in the park, and then dispersed to either go home or stay out. I went home and stayed warm. More pictures!

Oh god, what have I done. This is going to be the least aesthetically pleasing entry in the history of my blog.


Well... Anyway, ignore how hideously everything is turning out. I'm frustrated but am determined to finish. What I'd like to say now is that for one whole week it was sunny and nice. Yes! After being so cold, writing a blog about the cold, complaining about the cold, the sun came out and took pity on me and everyone else. Remember that sign I wrote about that displays the time, the temperature, and some random numbers? Well! I still haven't got any idea what those random numbers are for, but last week the highest temperature I saw was +14°, which was the most beautiful thing I had seen that day. Probably. 

Tuesday's afternoon class got cancelled so Stephanie N., Abby (one of the new students), and I went to Ikea, which was just delightful. I thoroughly enjoy that place, and collected some good ideas for things to get for the apartment for the next school year.

Thursday night was API's Apéritif, which is for students and their host families to meet and greet. There was plenty of snacks and laughs, and this time around I wasn't an orphelin. My host mom went, and was well like by my friends so I'll bring them around. This picture is of me and my program director, Marie. 
Don't ask me why there's a huge space there. I don't know. Technology shouldn't be this hard. Friday there was a theater tour to go to, but first, Shawn, Emma, and I thought it'd be a good idea to go to Grenoble's Little Italy and get lunch. However, this idea wasn't good at all because we only had an hour to eat and had to scarf our food and get out of there. It was delicious though. So we waddle-ran down the street to catch the tram to the theater. We had a good time there, and then Allison, Stephanie N., and I went to the supermarket to buy things to eat for lunch during the week. Then we went to Stephanie N.'s house where we goofed off and listened to her play the piano.  

On Sunday a big group of us hiked up to the Bastille and had a picnic with a view. It was absolutely delightful. Then I went home and did homework.



No comments: