12 September, 2010

Rusé Comme un Renard

In fact I did go to Switzerland today! That story will go at the end of this post because I know I've got some miscellaneous stuff to say that I just haven't gotten to, and really it's not all that important but still needs to be said.

  • France, maybe even Europe, is the only place I get color. Now, we know I'm quite pale, and usually if I'm left out in the sun too long I burn, and I don't tan. Actually... I did get a shade darker in Chelan... But that just ruins the glamour of my skin having refined taste.
  • My host family's house is located near a church. Church bell rings in the morning, and often.
  • My host dad has two earpieces and therefore I have to say things to him two or three times. Naturally you'd think "Oh, good practice for speaking," to which I'd say that you're wrong because I think that each time I say it I have a thicker and thicker accent.
  • On the fifth day in France my true love gave to me... feet that didn't hurt anymore.
  • The French, instead of saying "uh" or "um" like we do, instead say something that kind of sounds like "bahn" with a nasal n. I've the habit of saying it now, especially starting my sentences because I process them before I speak them. So at dinner one night my host mom told me other things I could say instead because "bahn" isn't always so proper. Then my host dad chimed in and said that in fact it's very French, and I'm off to a good start, concluding (after more opinion from Marie Emmanuelle) that the only people who don't say it are kings and princes. In the end I've cut back but I still enjoy saying it.
  • At dinner two nights ago, my host brother was talking about somebody he met at school and after describing him, my host mother nearly died of laughter. After Fréd explained to me what seemed to be a skunk, Sylvain told me that it wasn't and I surmised that it was a badger. "That guy's a badger." Or maybe it was something like "That guy is as mean as a badger." Either way, don't be a badger. Badger.
  • One of the friends I've made here who's an API student has a family that eats very little. A group of us went out for a drink one night and she explained to us that they eat very small portions, and as soon as everyone is served, they remove the food from the table. This is incredibly strange as everyone else's family feeds them extremely well. She ended her explanation lamenting, "I'm so hungry!" Adorable.
  • My host parents remind me of characters you'd find in a silent claymation movie. It's mostly their movements and the fact that I don't understand everything they say. It's hard to explain, but enormously adorable all the same. Speaking of claymation (and I should add stop-motion), last night I watched a short film called Pierre and the Wolf (Pierre et le Loup), which all of you should look in to.
No, I'm not going to talk about Switzerland yet. And look at all those bullets you read to get here! Good for you (pat yourself on the back, round of applause, etc., etc.)! I will, I promise, but I'd like to talk a bit about the Musée Dauphinois. It's quite great, and they have all kinds of cool stuff and exhibits, not to mention it's a beautiful place that used to be a convent. The gardens and views of the city is incredible as well. Also. Do you know what happened to me there? Because I'll tell you, I will. I'm just minding my own business, walking down this hall featuring this technology exhibit, when my ears perk up like a dog hearing the word "walk." Do you know why? Because I'll tell you, I will. I feel like they did this as if they knew I were coming, but they were playing on a screen in the wall of this awesome technology exhibit, the music video to one of my favorite songs by my favorite music artist. I fluttered around like a little trapped bird, I did! 

Björk: All is Full of Love


There are also some pictures:
The Long Ascent
Shawn and I


I don't like to look a tourist.


Look at this incredibly long entry! In truth, I've decided to talk about Switzerland in the next post. I'm sneaky like that! Look, though! You read all of this! As far as I know...

No comments: