04 August, 2010

Goals for Studying Abroad

Paris
Alrighty: so my study abroad program, Academic Programs International, just sent me what they call a Toolbox, which is really just a boat-lode of helpful information. I've got to say, so far the program has been outstanding and I really think I made the right choice (knock on wood).

So anyway, this Toolshed has given me the idea to figure out my goals for studying abroad. As follows:


  • Discover at least 1 new thing a week.
That way I'll be sure to get out and about and really enjoy Grenoble. I'll tour museums, visit the parks, eat at new places, etc.
Versailles

  • Have patience.
I worry about this culture shock they keep advertising like an enticing cigarette ad (we know it's bad, but do it anyway!) where the place you're going is like the classy people in formalwear, and the Surgeon General's side effect warning is homesickness. I feel that as long as I'm patient with every struggle, it will pass with time and I can enjoy everything. Side note: I have this tiny image in my mind of me sitting at a café with a cigarette while people watching and writing in my journal and simultaneously drinking a cup of coffee and I JUST LOOK SO COOL.

  • Learn the language.
Certainly I have a strong grasp on it (or at least I do in the U.S.) but every day will be a test of my skills. I plan to take e'erything in and come back as fluent as possible.

  • Experience the culture.
I doubt I'll have any qualms with anything I see in France. I like to think myself an open-minded person, and I'd like to study the culture as well as be a part of it. I didn't take Sociocultural Anthropology for nothing! I'll apply what I learned and go in with a clean plate in order to fill it with French goodies! So basically, I'll eat what they eat.

  • Establish relationships.
I imagine, as many have told me, it will be hard to make friends there. Well! I accept this challenge! Aint nobody not gonna be my friend! I'm sure I'll make friends with the American kids, but I'll try to spend more of my time with the locals. Especially my host family, who I'm sure will be a great learning resource. I have a vision of cooking in the kitchen with them (learning old family recipes to bring back to share with everyone!) and having a joyous time. Though, seeing as I have no idea who they are yet, things could (and most certainly will) be different. If they have children my age, I can make friends with them and we can do stuff in town together. If they have young kids, I can experience being a big brother (and kids are usually easier to understand).
Honfleur

  • People watch.
Remember my café scenario? I'll be sitting there, enjoying everything, and watching people sit at tables or pass by. Just for kicks maybe I'll make up stories about their lives and post them on the blog. Anyway, it's all a part of observing the culture, so a-hunting (people watching) we will go!

1 comment:

Jillian said...

Love of my life, DO NOT return to me smelling of cigarettes and sounding of lung cancer. That is all I ask.