07 August, 2010

Góðan Dag

Life goal: learn Icelandic. First of all, I don't know where this kid is getting his information... maybe that textbook I perused through on Amazon? Somehow I feel like he knows what he's talking about, even if he doesn't even really speak the language. Second of all, he must have a ton of time on his hands to be doing these videos.

And whilst I wait for this video to load, let me just tell you a couple of linguistic things about Icelandic. I could wikipedia this information for accuracy but I'm too lazy to even pull it up, so I'll just tell you from memory (don't quote me unless you look it up). Icelandic has had very little change from Old Icelandic, something highly uncommon in languages. Iceland's isolation has allowed this preservation to happen. Conversely, English has gone through four major stages; Old English, Middle English, Early Modern English, and Modern English (the current stage, which started in the 1700's), and has influential change from Latin, Nordic languages, and French. Icelandic also has a declension system, something I don't fully understand because it's a pain in the rump for people who haven't encountered it (German, Latin, and Romanian have it, I know), but it has something to do with prepositions and the way you conjugate things.

Anyway, enjoy!

No comments: